Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Eufaula National Wildlife Refuge - More Alligators

We went back to one of the other sections of the Eufaula National Wildlife Refuge.  This section is across the lake in Georgetown, Georgia.  We saw quite a bit of waterfowl but didn't get any pictures. The place was just full of alligators - I lost count at 20 but we probably saw 40 or 50 in a four mile hike.   I had one jump in the water about 5 or 6 feet from me - he was at the edge of the shore and I didn't see him and I guess he didn't see me until the last second - not sure who scared who the most - didn't know I could still move that fast. 


The refuge was a series of impoundments (large square areas contained by dikes - probably 1/2 to 3/4 mi. square.


They are sometimes hard to see - the lower long black object in the picture is a log - the upper long black object is an alligator.





This is a baby - about 2 feet long

This one was not jumpy at all - we walked by him within a few feet and he didn't move.

There were quite a few sunning themselves on the banks of the impoundments - there are two in this picture

This was about a 10 footer

No comments:

Post a Comment