Monday, September 26, 2016

Memories Of Moultonborough, Center Harbor, Meredith, and Weirs Beach, NH

Sunday we had to go to Manchester,NH so we left very early and took the scenic route through the towns where I spent my childhood (forgot my camera so we used a cell phone - a few of the pictures are a little fuzzy).  Our first stop was in Moultonborough, NH at the Old Country Store where I have memories of looking forward to visiting the penny candy counter - you could make quite a haul for a quarter.  Unfortunately we were there very early and the store was not open.  


Our next stop was in Center Harbor (my home town).  I was a littler disappointed that Nichols Variety Store was no longer there - the building is still there but the business is gone.

Right across from the former Nichols Variety Store is the Kona Fountain, a bronze statue and horse watering trough in the center of town.  I was pleased to find that it had been put on the National Register Of Historic Places.  I have a memory of actually going down the manhole that allows access to the plumbing for the fountain when I was quite young (probably 8 or 10).  My father had to do a repair or turn on the water (not sure) and he let me go down the manhole after he was done. I distinctly remember going over to Nichols Variety after we were done and I had a root beer and my father had a Moxie (I never could acquire a taste for Moxie).  Its funny what little moments you can remember from your childhood - this was probably the late 1950's and I can remember it quite clearly.



This is the old Center Harbor School - a two room school house where I attended grades 1 through 6.   It is now a museum - talk about making you feel old.


Next stop was Meredith, NH where I spent a lot of time as a teenager as the Regional High School was located there.  The first photo is looking up Meredith Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee.



Chief Chocorua on Indian Island - a bronze 8 foot high statue of a Native American.



Nicely done figure of a horse made of vines and driftwood in the "Sculpture Walk" area of the Meredith Bay park.

Finally we went to Weirs Beach, about 5 miles south of Meredith.  "The Weirs" is a tourist attraction and summer hangout with many arcades, lake access, boating, etc.


Promenade on Weirs Boulevard

The Sophie C., a 78 foot mail boat and tour boat.  Behind her is the Doris E., a 68 ft.  tour boat.  These appear to be the same boats I remember from my youth.  Unfortunately the MS Mount Washington, a 230 ft. cruise ship was not in port when we were there.  I had a friend whose father worked for the "Steamship Company" (probably not the right name but that's what I recall that we called the company that ran the Mt. Washington, the Sophie C. and the Doris E.) on at least one or two occasion was able to get us tickets to ride the Mount Washington and the Doris E. - don't remember actually ever riding on the Sophie C.

Some of The Arcades

The Lake Winipesaukee Scenic Railroad train arrived while we were there.






We left the Weirs and headed to Manchester, expecting it to be about a 1 hr. trip.  Remind me to not head to Manchester via I-93 at noon time on the day of the 2 pm NASCAR race in Loudon, NH - we ran into some major delays and arrived about an hour later than expected.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow...you are doing alot. I am enjoying seeing all the things you are posting. It's been cold here the last two days...highs of right around 60. Darby is gonna be in the best shape of his life

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete